Thursday, October 20, 2011

This and that

I don't have any cool photos to share this week but I do have a few updates I thought I'd share.

I had a great experience at the end of last week when I attended training to be a leader for Precept Ministries Inductive Bible Studies. It was an intense training session and I'm glad I was able to go. I hope to lead Bible studies with my sister, Kristine, eventually.

I've not participated in a group Bible study from PMI before because the ones in Evergreen have been held during the day when I was working. Now that I'm not working, there isn't even a PMI group during the day in Evergreen. I did find a PMI Bible study that's starting Oct. 24 in Arvada and I'm going to join that group. It is a study on the books of Ezra and Haggai and the rebuilding of the temple. The leader for the class is Diana and I had a chance to meet her yesterday. It turns out that this group of Bible study students has been together for some time and they'll be coming to class ready to start week 1, with their homework done. Diana brought the book to me in Evergreen yesterday so I could be ready with the rest of the class. That was so thoughtful of her. This is a short class of only 5 weeks so it will work well if the house manages to sell in the meantime.



I read a very good book on my Kindle recently that was recommended by my sister. It's called While We're Far Apart as is one of the best Christian fiction books I've read in a long time. I wasn't familiar with the author before reading this book and it made me want to search out more titles by Lynn Austin.







So... I went searching on Amazon for other books by her. I found another title that sounded interesting, Candle in the Darkness, and had a very pleasant surprise when I found I had downloaded it as a free title shortly after I first received my Kindle. I started reading it as soon as I had finished While We're Far Apart. I just finished it this morning :-(  This is book one in a three-book series called Refiner's Fire. I've got the other two books on my wish list. I'll have to save up my allowance.

Kristine discovered that there's another series by Lynn Austin called Chronicles of the Kings and it has five books in the series. Turns out, the two of us had downloaded book one of the series, Gods and Kings, when it was offered as a free Kindle download. Here's the weird thing, though. I went out on Amazon this morning to find an image of Gods and Kings for this blog posting and the book is no longer listed as available as a Kindle book. However, books #2 - #5 are available to purchase. How weird is that??  I would start reading this new book next, except I'm excited to switch to a new audio book I just got on Tuesday....
...the latest from Joel Rosenberg, The Tehran Initiative. This is the sequel to The Twelfth Imam that was released a year ago. Joel seems to have such insight into current events as they relate to Old Testament prophecies.

Speaking of Joel Rosenberg, There will be a simulcast event this Saturday called The Gathering Storm. It's only viewable at places that are sponsoring it, mostly churches, and I'm going down to Bear Lake Church in Lakewood to view it with others. Besides being a video presentation by Joel, it's also an "urgent call to prayer, fasting and repentance for America, Israel and the Church in light of Bible Prophecy." You can find a list of locations at the web site and there's still time to sign up if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment